Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 10 min.
- 1 min.Once this temperature is reached, remove the almonds from the oven and tip striaght into the sugar.
- 2 min.Stir with a wooden spatula. After a few seconds the mixture should become grainy.
If this does not happen immediately it is because the sugar has not reached 120°C (250°F) yet. Don't worry, just keep stirring for a while longer until the change occurs.
- Turn down the heat to medium, and continue stirring the almonds non-stop...
- 15 min.... until the sugar caramelizes and the almonds are all coated with dark caramel.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Crush into small pieces and put in the blender.
- 1 min.Blend until obtaining a powder (a few seconds), if this is what you require.
- 3 min.If you need praline paste, continue blending and the mixture will transform itself into a paste.
- Both kinds of praline should be kept in airtight jars, the paste refrigerated and the powder at room temperature.
Remarks:In this recipe for almond praline, it's important to keep the almonds in their skins to retain their full flavour. It's also possible to make hazelnut praline, but for this the skins should be removed as they add nothing.
Praline is named after Maréchal de Choiseul du Plessis-Praslin, an ambassador under Louis XIII, who asked his cook to invent a sweet for him. The cook came up with the idea of coating almonds in caramel, or "praline". These caramalized nuts, when crushed, give us the praline filling for chocolates.
Recipes which use it: 3
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream), Stewed apple (compote), Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, Almond tuiles, Almond macaroon cake, ... [All]
- Whole almonds: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Chocolate thins with toasted nuts, Nougat, Grandma Solange's biscuits, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sushi, Special small breads, Two-olive ciabatta, Salmon chard rolls, How to cook rice in rice-cooker, ... [All]