Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 10 min.
- 1 min.Once this temperature is reached, remove the almonds from the oven and tip striaght into the sugar.
- 2 min.Stir with a wooden spatula. After a few seconds the mixture should become grainy.
If this does not happen immediately it is because the sugar has not reached 120°C (250°F) yet. Don't worry, just keep stirring for a while longer until the change occurs.
- Turn down the heat to medium, and continue stirring the almonds non-stop...
- 15 min.... until the sugar caramelizes and the almonds are all coated with dark caramel.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Crush into small pieces and put in the blender.
- 1 min.Blend until obtaining a powder (a few seconds), if this is what you require.
- 3 min.If you need praline paste, continue blending and the mixture will transform itself into a paste.
- Both kinds of praline should be kept in airtight jars, the paste refrigerated and the powder at room temperature.
Remarks:In this recipe for almond praline, it's important to keep the almonds in their skins to retain their full flavour. It's also possible to make hazelnut praline, but for this the skins should be removed as they add nothing.
Praline is named after Maréchal de Choiseul du Plessis-Praslin, an ambassador under Louis XIII, who asked his cook to invent a sweet for him. The cook came up with the idea of coating almonds in caramel, or "praline". These caramalized nuts, when crushed, give us the praline filling for chocolates.
Recipes which use it: 3
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Whole almonds: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple Batter Puddings, Chocolate thins with toasted nuts, Kugelhof for Nanou, Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, Tomato pesto, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Stewed apple (compote), Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Meringues, Cooking sugar, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chicken pie, Turban of sole with langoustines, Mushroom velouté, Bacon rolls, Tomato foccacia, ... [All]