Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 1 min.As soon as you take the seeds out of the oven, tip them into 60 g water, stir briefly, then leave on one side to cool.
- 4 min.
- 15 min.Knead on slow speed for 15 minutes.
Add the mustard seeds 2 minutes before the end of kneading.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home..
- 1 hour 30 min.Gather the dough into a ball and transfer it to a large, clean bowl. Cover with a plastic sheet and leave for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 5 min.After this time, cut and weigh out the dough into 100 g lumps.
- 10 min.Roll these into balls.
- 2 hours
- 25 min.Bake at 460°F (240°C) for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:You may well have noticed in the photo for Step 3 that I am not using normal French mustard paste, but the classic British powdered sort, made by Coleman's of Norwich. If you wish to do the same (which works well), use double the stated quantity of mustard paste: e.g. if the recipe asks for 30 g of mustard, use 60 g of powder.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Plain white flour (French Type 65): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ali Baba bread, Benoîton, Jura bread, Classic French white bread, New leavened bread, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French custard tart, Pesto crackers, Flognarde, Thin endive tart, Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Couscous, Couscous, Aperitif rolls, Cheese tart, Pistachio powder or paste, ... [All]