Step by step recipe:
- 8 min.
- 30 min.Knead on slow speed for 30 minutes.
- This should give you a firm dough that French bakers call "bâtarde" (bastard).
- 1 min.Add 150 g caster sugar.
- 5 min.Knead for a further 5 minutes until the sugar is mixed in and the dough nice and smooth.
- 4 hoursGather the dough into a ball. Transfer this to a large clean bowl and cover with a plastic sheet.
Leave to rest at room temperature for 4 hours.
- 5 min.After this time, weigh out the dough into lumps of 850 g for a ring pogne, or smaller for individual brioche style.
- 3 min.Press the 850 g of dough into a round, flat cake.
Male a large hole in the centre and lay the ring on a baking sheet.
- 3 min.For the smaller brioche-style pogne, put the dough into a brioche tin or mould.
- 1 day 12 hoursCover with a plastic sheet and leave to rest at room temperature for 12 hours, then a further 24 hours in the fridge.
- 2 min.Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
Glaze the top of the pogne.
- 1 min.Slash the surface of the pogne in a large square, whether on the ring...
- ...or classic brioche shape.
- 40 min.Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:Do not be surprised if all the kneading and resting times in this recipe seem excessive. This is because there is hardly any yeast, and the long resting time also develops the flavour we are aiming for.
Source:Based on a recipe by Thomas Marie.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sandwich bread, Dipping bread with cheese, Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, Pretzels, Arizona cupcakes, ... [All]
- Leaven: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Saucipain, Franche-Comté sticks, Benoîton, French baguettes, Peanut rolls, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Muffin dough, Little lemon biscuits, Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, Kugelhof for Nanou, Framboisier, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tart Tatin, Brioche galette, Pancake batter, Gingerbread, Chocolate almond cookies, ... [All]