Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 15 min.Bake for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned.
Turn the oven down to 360°F (180°C).
- 5 min.
- Cover the sheet, but be sure to leave space between the circles.
- 10 min.Turn the sheet over and pipe rings, using a forcing bag with a size 6 nozzle, over the circles you have drawn.
- 3 min.Tidy up the circles if necessary by pushing the choux pastry into place with a small spoon dipped in milk.
- 20 min.Bake for around 20 minutes, until golden.
- 10 min.
- Begin assembling the puits d'amour: place a circle of puff pastry in front of you (tip: work on a sheet of cooking parchment; then, if the caramel runs over the edge, it won't stick).
- Dip a choux-pastry ring into the caramel (use tongs if you can to make this easier).
- And stick this quickly onto the puff pastry.
- Do this with another ring and stick it on top of the first one...
- ...then add a third and final ring.
- 30 min.You can see how to do it in this short video.
Build all your puits d'amour "wells" like this.
- 5 min.Finish by filling the wells with confectioner's custard.
- Refrigerate until needed, but do not serve too cold.
Remarks:Puits d'amour do not keep. To eat them at their best, while they still have both crisp and soft textures, they should be eaten the day they are made, ideally within 2 hours.
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Choux pastry (pâte à choux): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gougères, Saint Honoré cake, Valay-Brest, Chouquettes, Pets de nonne, ... [All]
- Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Yvetot Douillons, Strawberry tart, Saint Honoré cake, Millefeuille, Peach and green tea tart, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Koulibiak in pie dish, Comtoise tart for Seàn, Yvetot Douillons, Tomato feuilleté with pesto, Tomato tart, ... [All]