Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.Cook the 4 lobsters tail in court bouillon, then remove the flesh from the shells and cut into pieces or slice.
Note: do not overcook the lobster or they will become rubbery. Use a thermometer if possible, and cook until the temperature at the centre of a tail reaches 60°C (140°F).
- 3 min.Heat 50 g butter in a large frying pan on high heat. When hot, tip in the lobster pieces and sauter (fry, tossing gently in the pan) for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 2 min.Pour in 3 tablespoons Port and 4 tablespoons Brandy (Cognac or Armagnac) and continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed.
- 3 min.Sprinkle with flour and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the lobster begins to brown slightly.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.Divide equally between small ramekins...
- 5 min.... and finish in the oven for a few minutes, until browned on the top.
- Serve piping hot in the ramekin.
Remarks:The original very classy, but somewhat-dated recipe is for lobster Thermidor, but lobster or langoustines (Norway lobster) work very well.
In the original version, the flesh is put back into the shell rather than into ramekins, which is much prettier, but rather tricky to do. If you want to try it, stand the half-shells in a bed of coarse salt to keep them upright.
Source:Based on a recipe by Ginette Mathiot.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cherry clafoutis, Loin of pork with herbs and julienne vegetables , Potimarron (chestnut pumpkin) "au gratin", New York style pasta, Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Walnut short bread, Chestnut Fudge Cupcakes, Tomatoes Provençal, Rolls of fish in smoked ham, Pavlova, ... [All]
- Brandy (Cognac or Armagnac): You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pâté de campagne, Crème de foie gras, Cocktail sauce, Armagnac marzipan, Stuffed prunes, ... [All]