Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.Have your fishmonger clean and remove the heads from the mackerel.
Wash them thoroughly.
- 7 min.Put the fish into a pan of cold salted water and put this on low heat.
Cook the mackerel at a gentle simmer. Ideally, use an thermometer stuck into the middle of the fish and stop cooking when the temperature reaches 140°F (60°C).
If you don't have a thermometer, cook for 7 minutes, counting from when the water starts to simmer.
- 15 min.Remove the mackerel skin and discard this along with the bones.
There's no doubt about it, this is the longest and least pleasant part of the recipe; mackerel have a lot of bones.
Take care to pick out and discard the dark flesh from along the top of the fillets. Only keep the best of the flesh, the white parts.
- 2 min.
- 2 hoursImmerse the mackerel fillets in this mixture, cover with plastic film and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Your mackerel fillets are ready. Take them out and drain them as and when required, otherwise they are better kept in the marinade.
Personally, I love eating these fillets on a slice of toast that has been rubbed with a piece of onion.