Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Wash the 500 g fresh gherkins thoroughly.
- 10 min.Brush each gherkin under running water to remove all the little "bristles" and give it a smooth surface.
- If you don't have a suitable brush, or if you prefer, you can use my grandmother Jeanne's method: rub them with the corner of a tea-towel.
- 5 min.Cut off any remaining stalks from the gherkins.
- 5 min.Rinse again, then dry with a tea-towel.
- 3 hoursPut the gherkins in a bowl with 300 g coarse salt for 3 hours to draw off some of the juice.
Note: contarary to popular belief, there is no need to soak them any longer than this, as they will start to dry out.
- 5 min.After this time, discard the salty water and rinse the gherkins...
- 1 hour...and soak them for 1 hour in a bowl of cold water. We do this so that the gherkins will not be too salty.
After one hour, drain the gherkins and dry them on a tea-towel.
- 1 min.Pour 1 sprig tarragon and a few peppercorns into the bottom of the jar you are going to use.
- 5 min.Fill the jar with gherkins and cover with cold white vinegar (there's no need to boil or even heat it).
Seal the lid and leave to mature for a month before eating.
Remarks:You can use a different vinegar if you prefer, but if you do not use white vinegar, your gherkins may take on an unusual colour.
Source:According to the lady on the market who sold me gherkins.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: How to prepare romanesco, Fresh pasta dough, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Beurre blanc sauce, Béarnaise sauce, ... [All]
- Coarse salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French bean salad with vinaigrette , Potted meat (rillettes), How to cook pasta properly, Fish in a salt crust, How to prepare endives , ... [All]
- Tarragon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Broad bean salad with Parmesan, Béarnaise sauce, Chicken breasts with tarragon, Spinach fritters, Filet mignon with mustard and tarragon sauce, ... [All]