Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Start beating and continue until evenly mixed and "short" (a light crumby texture).
- 2 min.Leave the beater running and pour in a scant 100 ml milk, just enough to give a smooth dough (adjust the amount of milk as necessary - this might be a little more or less than indicated).
- 1 hourGather the dough into a ball, then shape into a flat "cake" and wrap with plastic film.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 5 min.Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
Roll out the pastry and line the tin or mould.
- 10 min.Peel1 kg apple, remove the core and slice thinnly.
Fill the pastry case, keeping the apple slices well packed together.
- 40 min.Bake for about 40 minutes, watching the pastry for colour.
Remarks:Of course you can glaze the tart, but this is not really in the rustic spirit of the original (for once). Instead, simply sprinkle a little caster sugar over the apples 10 minutes before the tart goes in the oven.
To really make this tart just like my grandmother made it, try to use the very early "harvest-time" apples, though they can be hard to come by these days.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Four quarters (adding fruit), Caramelised apple pie, Warm apple feuillantines, Baked apples from St Aubin le Vertueux, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Choux pastry (pâte à choux), Rabbit civet, Hamburgers, Prune Far, Chestnut Fudge Cupcakes, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to cook rice in rice-cooker, Surprise bread, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Apple charlotte with toasted brioche, Salmon and Spinach Gratin, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, Chocolate eclairs, Flognarde, New hamburger buns, ... [All]