Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 2 min.Have your butcher joint 1 kg 500 g rabbit meat for you.
- 2 min.
- 12 hoursCover with plastic film and refrigerate overnight.
- 3 min.
Cook the meatNext day, drain the pices of rabbit and keep the marinade for later.
- 15 min.Pour 30 g olive oil into a large casserole or saucepan on high heat. When hot, fry the pieces of meat until browned on all sides.
- It is much easier to do this in batches.
- Return all the pieces of rabbit to the pan and turn the heat down a little.
- 2 min.
- 5 min....and stir well until evenly fried.
- 2 min.Pour the marinade (and all it contains) into the casserole, then salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to its lowest setting. Cover...
- 2 hours...and leave to simmer for about 2 hours.
Please note: the cooking should be long and slow, but this can be done in the oven, at 300°F (150°C), just as well as on the hob.
- 5 min.Meanwhile, fry 200 g small pieces of smoked bacon in a frying pan with no added fat.
- 10 min.Peel 300 g mushrooms and cut into chunks.
- 5 min.Sauté the mushrooms in the frying pan used for the bacon, using the fat left.
- After cooking for 2 hours, remove all the pieces of meat from the casserole.
- 2 min.
Prepare the sauceStrain the liquid from the casserole through a sieve. DIscard everything strained out and keep just the liquid.
Finish the civetIn both cases, once the sauce has thickened sufficiently, return the pieces of rabbit to the sauce, along with the bacon and mushrooms, until ready to serve.
- Your rabbit civet à la normande is ready. You can serve this with any accompaniment you like: mashed potato (shown here), pasta, rice, vegetables...
Remarks:For the cider, opt for a dry farmhouse type. You can use a perry instead (made with pears instead of apples), as this will also give a really good flavour.
And to drink?The same cider (or perry) as you have used for the marinade and cooking.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Rabbit meat: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rabbit with mustard, Rabbit civet, Rabbit terrine, ... [All]
- Mushrooms: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spaghetti with mushrooms, Tomato omelette, Pasta with mushrooms, Rabbit with mustard, "Land and sea" kebabs, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gratin of Endives with Mont d'Or, Sausage mushroom and cheese crumble, Icelandic-style fish and vegetable pie, Flaked almond tart, Sauce Normande (for fish), ... [All]