Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
Prepare the marinade
Cut the rabbit into pieces (or have your butcher do this for you).
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Place the rabbit pieces on top.
- 12 hoursCover with the red wine.
Cover with a plate and leave to marinate for 12 hours.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.Use the same pan to fry 150 g small pieces of bacon briefly.
- 7 min.Still using the same pan, use the fat released by the bacon to cook 350 g mushrooms, after chopping them.
- 5 min.
- 2 min.Still using the same pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil and when hot, add the chopped onion, salt and pepper.
Fry the onion for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 1 min.Return the bacon and mushrooms to the pan and mix well.
- 1 min.
- 1 min....then mix well.
- 2 min.
Begin the main cooking
Add the rabbit pieces to the pan...
- 2 min....then pour in the marinade, discarding the rosemary.
There should be enough wine to just about cover the meat. If not, add a little more.
- 6 min.Bring to the boil on high heat...
- 2 hours 30 min....then leave to simmer on low heat: 1 hour with the lid on and about an hour and a half uncovered to allow the sauce to thicken slowly.
Remarks:Rabbit civet is one of those dishes, like boeuf (beef) bourguignon or carbonnade, which just gets better with each reheating. So make plenty and keep some for another day.
For even more flavour, you can add a chicken or beef stock cube at step 14.
And to drink?The same red wine as you have used in the recipe. I recommend something with plenty of tannins, such as a Shiraz (Syrah).
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, Eggs meurette, Saucipain, Two-stage beef chuck , ... [All]
- Rabbit meat: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Rabbit civet "à la normande", Rabbit terrine, Rabbit with mustard, ... [All]
- Mushrooms: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Lumberjack turnovers, Chicken pie, Mixed salad with curry mayo, Mushroom velouté, "Land and sea" kebabs, ... [All]
- Onion: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tomato sauce for pizzas, Chicken and mushroom brik rolls, Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Meatballs, Lumberjack turnovers, ... [All]