Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.Scrub very thoroughly 2 grapefruits, organic if possible. to remove any traces of wax or other products from the skin.
Trim off top and bottom of each grapefruit, then make four cuts through peel.
- 3 min.Peel grapefruits gently, you should have 4 equal sized pieces of peel per grapefruit.
- 5 min.Use the grapefruit flesh for another recipe, fruit salad for exemple.
Cut each piece of peel into strips about 0.5 cm or ¼ inch wide.
- 16 min.Put these strips in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave overnight.
Next day, change water and leave about 4 hours longer.
- 2 min.Drain peel strips and weigh them. Then put in a pan with their weight in sugar, and their weight in water (if possible filtered or mineral to avoid the chlorine taste).
- 40 min.Cook slowly over gentle heat until there is hardly any liquid left.
- 20 min.Drain peel and allow to cool a little (they should still be warm).
- 12 min.Spread out on a non-stick tray.
Leave overnight or longer, until they become a bit firm (to your taste).
- 5 min.Then roll in a little caster sugar with a fork to coat them lightly.
Keep in an airtight container.
Remarks:It's possible to use other citrus fruit: oranges, lemons, limes and clementines.
Recipes which use it: 3
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sandwich bread, Plum tart, Apple crisps, Cooking sugar, Kouing-aman brioche, ... [All]
- Grapefruit: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fresh fruit in sabayon, Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, Fruit salad, How to peel a fruit, Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , ... [All]