Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Collect up all your fallen apples. It doesn't matter if they are still green, bruised or have been attacked by little creatures - rescue whatever you can!
- 2 min.Rinse them briefly.
- 5 min.Cut into quarters and discard any bad parts.
You may well have plenty to reject and the apples will turn brown rapidly. This is quite normal.
- 15 min.Put all the apple pieces through a centrifugal juicer. You will need 900g of juice to make 1.5 kg (just over 3 and a quarter pounds) of jelly, to which you will add the juice of 1 lemon.
Skim off all the froth carefully, then leave the juice in the fridge for about 30 minutes to settle. You will see that a deposit has formed at top and another at the bottom.
- 2 min.Discard the top deposit and pour the juice into a large saucepan, stopping before you get to the deposit at the bottom. Discard this as well.
- 2 min.Mix 100 g granulated sugar and 50 g jam gelling agent in a bowl, using a whisk.
- 2 min.Sieve 500 g granulated sugar into another bowl.
- 5 min.Bring the apple juice to the boil.
- 1 min.Tip in the sugar+setting agent mixture in one go.
- 3 min.Bring back to the boil, whisking gently.
- 1 min.Add 500 g granulated sugar all at once.
- 7 min.Bring back to the boil, whisking gently, then leave to boil for 2 minutes.
- 2 min.Pour the jelly into jars (still liquid at this stage).
- 2 min.Screw on the lids.
- 2 min.Turn the jars upside down so that the trapped air passes through the scalding hot jelly, which will sterilize it the simplest way.
- 2 min.Stand the jars right way up and leave to cool.
- You can now enjoy your delicious apple jelly.
Remarks:For this recipe, it is very important to respect the proportions of apples : sugar : setting agent, so it is worth noting that you should use 900g juice to 600 g sugar and 50 g setting agent.
You can mix different varieties of apples; this will give your jelly a more pronounced flavour.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Apple Tatin Terrine, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Tart Tatin, Caramelised apple pie, Clafoutis "Marie-Antoinette", ... [All]
- Granulated sugar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Kouign-amann brioche, Quince paste, Galette Charentaise, ... [All]
- Jam gelling agent: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Passion fruit jellies, ... [All]
- Lemon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Strawberry-mint sorbet, Pear and lime meringue pie, Tartine du pêcheur , Arlesian Biscuits, Endives , ... [All]