Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 2 min.
- 2 min.Put the other half of the dough back in the bowl, add 15 g powdered cocoa and knead for a further 1 or 2 minutes until evenly mixed.
- 2 hoursGather the chocolate dough into a flattened cake, wrap in stretch plastic film and refrigerate for 2 hours (or overnight).
- 5 min.After this time, roll out the chocolate dough into a long rectangle about 1 cm (0.4 inch) thick.
It is best to use guide rules to help you do this (I'm using 2 iron bars here).
- 25 min.Then cut the dough lengthways into long strips 1cm wide.
Do the same with the almond dough.
- 5 min.Use a deep cake tin or mould and lay a first layer in the bottom, alternating stripes of chocolate and almond.
- 30 min.Moisten the top of this layer with a brush dipped in water.
- 45 min.Arrange a second layer of alternate stripes, but the other way round. So, if the first layer began with a chocolate stripe, the second layer should begin with an almond one.
Continue alternating the strips in layers like this until you have used them all, moistening between the layers.
Put in the freezer for 45 minutes to firm up the dough a little and make it easier to cut.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
- 5 min.After this time, remove the block of dough from the mould and cut into slices about 1cm thick.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet.
- 15 min.Bake for around 15 minutes 200°C (390°F), but do not let the almond part brown.
Remarks:As always with shortbread-style biscuits, it is important not to overcook them. They should still be slightly yielding and not completely hard and dry.
You can vary this recipe however you wish, using flavours other than chocolate and almonds, so use your imagination.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Doughnuts, Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Sesame fried scampi, Red mullet fillets with a reduced white-wine sauce, Pink Reims biscuits, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Coconut-vanilla cream for Elsa , Toffee apple upside-down cake, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Passion fruit jellies, Gâteau Breton (Brittany butter cake), ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Dipping bread with cheese, Apple Batter Puddings, French onion soup, Pear, grapefruit and pistachio tart, Kouign-amann, ... [All]
- Ground almonds: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blackcurrant-almond muffins, Gâteau Nantais, Almond mug cake for Mary, Stuffed prunes, Amiens macaroons, ... [All]