Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Use a spring form tin if possible and lay a sheet of cooking parchment in the bottom to stop the caramel sticking too much.
Note: if you use a non-stick mould, this still helps, but otherwise it is essential for turning out the cooked cake.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Beat until evenly mixed.
Set aside at room temperature.
- 2 min.
- 7 min.Cook the sugar to the light caramel stage.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Pour the caramel onto the paper circle in the tin.
- 1 min.Spread evenly over the whole surface.
Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- 12 min.Peel 1 kg apple, cut into quarters and remove the core (slice again if the apples are large). Arrange the apple quarters in rings on top of the caramel.
- 3 min.Spread the cake mixture evenly over the apples.
- 1 hourBake for 50 minutes to one hour.
- 3 min.Turn the cake out as soon as it comes out of the oven (before the caramel has time to cool and stick to the tin).
This cake can be eaten warm or cold, as you prefer.
Remarks:It is important to use fairly tart apples (Bramley, Cox's, reinette, boskoop...) to contrast with the sweetness of the caramel and cake mixture.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Four quarters (adding fruit), Quince and apple compote, Bonnevaux apple tart, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Apple Tatin Terrine, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Breton sablé biscuit dough, Lobster Thermidor, Génoise (Genoa sponge), Cornmeal baps for Anne, Arizona cupcakes, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), Red rice pannequets, Chocolate cake, Salmon rillettes, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple Tatin Terrine, Pistachio ice cream, Doughnuts, Rum babas, Lemon creams, ... [All]