Step by step recipe:
- 30 min.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Start kneading and stop as soon as the dough is evenly mixed.
- 2 min.Weigh the dough and divide into 2 unequal parts: 1/4 and 3/4.
- 7 min.Roll out the smaller piece of dough between 2 sheets of cooking parchment into a circle...
- 7 min....the size of your tin or mould.
Using 2 sheets of cooking parchment makes it easier to roll out the soft, fragile dough.
- 1 hourThen roll out the larger piece of dough, again using 2 sheets of cooking parchment, into a circle a little larger (by about 1 inch / 2 or 3 cm) than your tin.
Lay both circles, still in their papers, on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 3 min.After this, the dough will be firmer and easier to handle.
Take the larger circle out of the fridge, carefully remove the paper and lay the dough in the tin.
Preheat your oven at 360°F (180°C).
- 4 min.Fill the case with the rum-flavoured custard and level the top.
- Turn the edges of the dough in towards the centre.
- 2 min.Take the remaining circle out of the fridge, carefully remove the paper and lay in the tin like a "lid" on top of the custard filling.
- 3 min.Use a brush to glaze the top of the cake with beaten egg yolk.
- 3 min.If you like, you can decorate the top by marking the dough with a fork. Use a bit of pressure, or the marks will disappear during cooking.
- 40 min.Bake for 40 minutes.
Best eaten cold, the gâteau Basque will only improve if kept for a day or two.
Remarks:For an even more pronounced rum flavour, add a tablespoonful to the bowl before mixing the dough.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Whole milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Celeriac and mushroom gratin, Pain perdu, Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Celeriac soup with mustard, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fruit crumble, Béarnaise sauce, Cheese Soufflé, Crackers, Pistachio shortbread biscuits, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Strawberry, kiwi and mascarpone verrines, Lime meringue tart, Apple confectioner's custard, Quick bramble jelly, Mini palmiers, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Old style brioche, Baked apples from St Aubin le Vertueux, Scrambled eggs (Oeufs brouillés), Spinach Croque-monsieur , Flaky brownie brioche, ... [All]