Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.
Prepare the crust doughRoughly chop 30 g rosemary.
- 4 min.
- 2 min.Gather the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic film and put to wait in the fridge.
Note: this dough can be made the day before and can be kept in the fridge overnight.
- 5 min.
Brown the meatSalt and pepper the fillet of beef on both sides.
Pour 2 tablespoons oil into a frying pan on high heat.
When good and hot, add the beef and brown...
- ...all over.
Important: this searing is not meant to cook the meat, just give it a good colour all over (to chefs, this is "marquer en cuisson").
Remove the meat from the frying pan and leave to rest while you roll out the dough.
- 4 min.
Make the crustPreheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
Roll out the dough fairly thinly (1/8 of an inch / 3 or 4 mm).
- 1 min.Place the beef fillet in the centre of the dough...
- 1 min....And fold in the sides to seal.
- 1 min.Turn over and sit in an oven-proof dish.
- 30 min.
Cook the meatCook in the oven for about 30 minutes (just done) or 20 minutes (rare).
For perfect cooking, it is best to use an electronic thermometer, stuck through the crust into the meat: at 140°F (60°C) it will be "medium", at 122°F (50°C) it will be "rare".
Break open the crust and discard it, then carve a thick slice for each guest.
Remarks:For a more pronounced flavour, you can add a teaspoonful of Herbes de Provence to the dough.
The meat should ideally be fillet or another tender cut (faux-filet, rump steak, etc.).
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Beef : You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to cook red meat properly, Taos hotpot, Two-stage beef chuck , Melt-in-the mouth meat and vegetables in a sealed casserole, Tournedos Rossini, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Buckwheat almond biscuits, Lumberjack turnovers, Kouign-amann, Génoise (Genoa sponge), Flognarde, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fresh fruit in sabayon, Panettone, Potimarron (Japanese chestnut pumpkin) purée, Minted Melon, How to heat milk without it catching on the bottom of the pan, ... [All]
- Rosemary: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rosemary steamed fish, Herb olive oil, Rabbit terrine, Courgettes (zuchinis) , Rabbit civet, ... [All]