Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Peel 1 kg apple and cut into quarters. Remove the core and cut each quarter in half again to give 8 pieces from each apple.
- 7 min.
- Turn the apple pieces so that they brown nicely on both sides.
This cooking and carameising should be quite rapid, so that the apples don't have time to go soft.
- 1 min.At the end of cooking, pour 4 tablespoons Calvados (apple liqueur) over the apples.
- 2 min.Pull the pan slightly to the side and, if you have a gas hob, incline it towards the flame to light the Calvados (on an electric hob, of course, you'll need to use a match or lighter).
Warning: the flames can be high (see the photo), so I advise you to turn off the cooker hood, if you hae one, before doing this.
- Leave the flames to die down...
- ...the apples are now flambéed.
- 8 min.Arrange several apple pieces in a small dish for each guest.
- 5 min.Pour cold real custard (crème anglaise) over and serve immediately.
Remarks:It is important to use clarified butter for Step 2, in place of normal butter, which tends to burn and leave little black bits on the apples that are not very appetising.
You can use another alcohol instead of Calvados, if you prefer. The Normandy link might be lost, but it would still taste very good.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple and almond gratin, Cochelin d'Evreux, Toffee apple upside-down cake, Apple crisps, Apple Pie, ... [All]
- Real custard sauce (crème anglaise): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Warm apple feuillantines, European glass, Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Pistachio panna cotta with custard, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, Toffee apple upside-down cake, Oatmeal cake, Melon with port sorbet, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, ... [All]