Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Cut 500 g fish fillet into medium-sized pieces. This should be the good flesh only, with no bones or skin.
- 1 min.Blend the fish briefly in a food-processor to reduce to a paste.
- 2 min.Add 300 ml cream, salt and pepper, then blend again into a thick purée.
- 3 min.
- 6 min.Bring 1 litre fish fumet up to a simmer, then lower the paper with the mousselines into the pan.
- When they float off the paper, pull this out and turn the mousselines.
They need to cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Shortly before serving, preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Prepare individual oven-proof dishes: pour in 2 tablespoonsful of sauce normande.
- 2 min.Place 2 mousselines on top.
- 1 min.Coat with more sauce normande.
- 10 min.Bake for about 10 minutes until just starting to brown on the top.
Remarks:As well as whiting, you can use other sea fish, such as sole, or freshwater fish, such as pike or zander.
If you do not have any fish stock for poaching the mousselines, use a vegetable stock instead, or - at a push, as it is not quite as good - just salted water.
Serve 2 mousselines per person as a starter, 4 as a main course.
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Fish fumet: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Pollack Parmentier, Salmon rillettes, Salmon with sorrel, ... [All]
- Fish fillet: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Fish fillet with preserved lemons, Tahitian style fish, Fish fillet in express cooking envelope, Fish in white wine, Rosemary steamed fish, ... [All]
- Sauce Normande (for fish): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Nanou's tuna tart, Scallop and leek pancakes, Lille style chicken, Mushroom velouté, Baked potoatoes with herb butter or cream , ... [All]