Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.I advise you to use a very basic wine.
Pour 1 litre red wine into a pan and bring to the boil on medium heat.
- 5 min.Meanwhile, cut fruit in half, set half an orange and a half grapefruit aside, and squeeze the others.
- 5 min.Scrub the skin of the other 2 half fruit thoroughly, and cut into small pieces, with both peel and flesh on each as far as possible.
- 3 min.When wine boils, set light to the alcohol vapours (a pretty blue flame) by holing a flame above the pan.
Leave all alcohol to burn off, which will take about 2-3 minutes.
- 2 min.Pour fruit juice into wine.
- 2 min.
- 1 hourAdd pieces of fruit, turn down heat to minimum and leave to simmer until drinking time (but at least one hour).
- 5 min.Serve in glasses or mugs, a generous helping of wine and a few fruits.
Remarks:Many people think that the most important thing in mulled wine is the spices, but for me it's more the wine-fruit mix which gives the delicious hint of acidity. Then you can add whatever you want: vanilla, cinnamon, aniseed, pepper,...
For a quick mulled wine, forget: vanilla sugar, grapefruit and cinnamon.
For a glittering presentation, serve in glasses (not mugs) with the edges dipped in white egg then caster sugar.
Source:Home made, and this recipe is dedicated to David who will certainly bemoan the short measure of cinnamon.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rabbit civet, Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Marchand de vin sauce, Saucipain, Coq au vin, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Dublin fruit scones, Fresh mint ice-cream, Flognarde, Warm apple feuillantines, Grandma Solange's biscuits, ... [All]
- Orange: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flambéd bananas , Quick orange marmalade, Nonettes, Quince paste, Crêpes Suzette, ... [All]
- Grapefruit: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fresh fruit in sabayon, Fruit salad, Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , Pear, grapefruit and pistachio tart, How to peel a fruit, ... [All]