Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 2 min.Pour 2 litres red wine into a large saucepan on low heat. Add all the flavouring ingredients, salt and pepper, then mix.
- 1 hourLeave uncovered on low heat to reduce by about 3/4.
Useful tip: weigh the full pan before reducing and check the weight from time to time until reduced by 3/4.
Once reduced to the right amount, take off the heat and discard the flavouring ingredients.
- 5 min.Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
Prepare 1 kg beef by cutting into medium-sized chunks (about the size of your thumb).
Salt and pepper the chunks of meat.
- 2 min.Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large casserole that can go both on the hob and in the oven.
Put on high heat and when hot, add the chunks of meat.
- 5 min.Stir frequently until the meat is lightly browned all over.
you will notice that the meat gives off a lot of liquid.
- 2 min.Tip out the meat and its juices into a dish and leave to rest.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Return the chunks of meat to the casserole with or without the juices, as you prefer (I prefer without).
Pour in the reduced red wine, salt and pepper lightly, then stir to mix well.
- 2 hoursPut the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for about 2 hours.
- 2 min.After this time, take the casserole out of the oven and remove the lid. Scrape the bottom well to deglaze.
Your braised beef is ready.
- 20 min.You can serve this dish with almost anything you like: rice, chips or other potatoes, vegetables, etc.
These are fried sliced potatoes.
- Serve either plated up or take the casserole to the table for people to help themselves.
Remarks:I recommend using one of the cheaper cuts of meat for this, such as brisket or shin of beef. Ask you butcher for a cut that is good for braising.
For the herbs, don't worry if you don't have everything on the list, just use whatever you have available.
Use a strong wine with plenty of tannins, if possible, such as a Shiraz/Syrah. I'm thinking particularly of those reds from the south: Languedoc in France, Spain, or even further south, from Algeria.