Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Soak 2 sheets gelatin in a big bowl of cold water.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Take off the heat, cover and leave to infuse for at least one hour.
- 2 min.Pour 300 g Stewed apricots through a fine strainer into a pan.
- 5 min.Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring fequently, then add 2 g agar-agar, and bring back to the boil beating vigourously.
- 10 min.Put the pan into cold water to cool, stirring occasionally.
Agar-agar will thicken apricot coulis and set on cooling.
- 5 min.To return to the almond milk: pour almond milk (now a thick purée) through a fine strainer into a pan, pushing it through with a soft spatula.
- You will then have almond milk.
- 5 min.Heat almond milk on medium heat, stirring constantly, but do not boil.
When hot, remove from heat and add the drained and dried sheets of gelatin, while stirring.
- 10 min.Put pan to cool in cold water, stirring from time to time.
- 1 min.When almond milk is cold, add 4 drops bitter almond essence if desired.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.Pour ¼ of cold almond milk into whipped cream.
- 3 min.Mix thoroughly with a maryse or spatula.
- 1 min.Pour this into the rest of the almond milk...
- 5 min....and fold in gently.
- 10 min.Pour the blancmange into silicone moulds or small glasses, with alternate layers of almonds milk and apricot coulis.
For small glasses finish with a drop of coulis on top.
Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- 2 hoursBlancmange in glasses is served as it is.
- 3 min.
Remarks:You can make the same recipe with fruits other than apricots.
Blancmange is a recipe appearing in the "Viandier" of Guillaume TIREL, also called Taillevent, master cook to king Charles VI of France in the XIIth century. The "Viandier" is the first cook book written in French rather than Latin, it is said that the blancmange recipe is the only one which can be made today without modifications.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Stewed apricots: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Liège waffles, Lemon Confectioner's Custard, Prune Far, Chocolate sauce, Dublin fruit scones, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Shallot confit tart, Chocolate mug cake, Eton mess, Beurre blanc sauce, Alsatian apple tart, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Caramelised walnuts, Pavlova, Breton sablé biscuit dough, Brioche dough, Clafoutis "Marie-Antoinette", ... [All]