Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
Prepare the square of lardPut 80 g lard on a plastic sheet.
- 5 min.
- 15 min.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.Brown the bacon bits in a frying pan for a few minutes.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Knead on slow speed for 10 minutes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 1 min.One minute beofre the end of kneading, add the sesame seeds.
- 1 hourGather the dough into a ball, transfer to a large, clean bowl and cover with a plastic sheet.
Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 3 min.
Flake the doughAfter resting, roll out the dough on the worktop into a long rectangle about the same width as the square of lard.
- 3 min.Place the suqare of lard in the centre of the rectangle of dough and gently slide out the plastic. This is slightly tricky, which is why it is important to have the lard really cold from the freezer.
- 3 min.Fold the flaps of dough over to cover the lard.
Fold in half again and turn the dough through 90° (a quarter turn).
- 5 min.Roll out again and spread the bacon bits over the dough.
- 3 min.Fold up again like before to seal in the bacon.
- 5 min.Finish by rolling out the dough again and cut across into broad strips.
- 1 hour
- 30 min.Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C). Bake the rolls for about 30 minutes with steam. Do watch for the colour towards the end of baking.
- Best served warm, cut into slices.
Remarks:The ideal lard to use is fat that has been saved from making potted meat (rillettes). This has more flavour than plain lard, which is very bland.
You will notice that the flakiness is less marked than with butter, as lard does not produce the same effect - this is quite normal and a feature of the recipe.
And to drink?The French often like to accompany "la cochonnaille" (pork charcuterie) with a gutsy, full-bodied red wine.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Plain white flour (French Type 65): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cretan Bread, Loaf for "les filles'", Leavened bread, Mixed seed grissini, New hamburger buns, ... [All]
- Leaven: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Benoîton, Naan, Panettone, Cretan Bread, Ocean bread, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cooking sugar, Sesame fried scampi, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Citrus crunch, Sushi, ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French-style peas, Beef braised in reduced red wine, How to cook bacon and remove excess fat, Rabbit civet, Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, ... [All]