Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 1 min.Take the sesame seeds out of the oven and tip them into 100 g water.
Mix quickly and leave to cool.
- 5 min.
- 15 min.Knead on slow spead for 15 mintes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home..
- 2 min.2 minutes before the end of the kneading time, add the sesame seeds with their soaking water.
- 1 hourGather the dough into a rough ball and transfer to a large clean bowl, then cover with a plastic sheet.
Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 2 min.After resting, knock back and work the dough: stretch it up with a dough-cutter as far as possible...
- 1 hour...and fold it over.
Do this once or twice, then cover again with the plastic and leave to rest for another hour.
- 8 min.After resting, weigh out the dough into lumps of about 350 g and shape these into oval balls.
Cover with the plastic sheet and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- 8 min.After this, fold each ball lengthways in 3 to form a long roll.
- 2 min.Lay the loaves in a baguette tin or mould or, if you don't have one, on a baking sheet.
- 1 hourBrush the tops of the loaves with a little water or oil and scatter some raw sesame seeds over them. Press these in slightly to help them stick.
- 25 min.Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C ) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..