Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Wash and dry 1 kg oxtail, salt and pepper the pieces both sides.
Preheat oven to 284°F (140°C).
- 5 min.Put the oxtail pieces in a cooking bag or an ovenproof dish with a lid (casserole), pour 1 glass red wine over, and add herbs.
- 4 hoursPut in the oven for 4 hours.
The happy owners of bread ovens can cook it, after bread baking, overnight.
- 2 min.After 4 hours, take out the oxtail pieces which will be transformed into "confit".
- 10 min.Separate all good meat from bones and nerves, which you discard.
- 3 min.Strain cooking juices and set aside.
- 40 min.Prepare 600 g potato purée.
Everything so far (purée, meat and meat juices) can be easily prepared beforehand, even 2 or 3 days before, and kept in sealed containers in the frige.
- 5 min.Assemble the Parmentier:
Preheat oven to 410°F (210°C).
In small individual dishes or a family one, put a layer of oxtail meat.
Pour over a tablespoon of meat juices.
- 3 min.Add a good layer of purée to cover the meat completely.
- 3 min.Sprinkle with grated cheese to taste.
- 30 min.Put in the oven until the top is nicely browned.
Remarks:Oxtail is a really delightful and cheap meat, but which needs long cooking. It is this slow stewing which develops its flavour and gives this "confit" look.
If you have meat left over from this, you can enjoy it cold, in vinaigrette, mixed with a green salad and herbs, it's a treat.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potato purée: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Duck Parmentier, Potato and two ham gratin, Colcannon, Upside-down Parmentier, Sausage with duchess potatoes and a Mont d'Or fondue , ... [All]
- Rosemary: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Little vegetable omelettes, Fried eggs with tomatoes, Pâté de campagne, Veal Chop With Assortment of Vegetables, Feta in olive oil with herbs, ... [All]
- Bayleaf: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Feta and spinach brik pie, Pâté de campagne, Sausages with baked beans, French style, Spaghetti Bolognese, Beef braised in reduced red wine, ... [All]