Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.
- 2 min.Weigh out 350 g ground almonds. Set aside.
- 3 min.
- 3 min.When the egg whites are fully beaten and glossy, reduce the speed slightly and gradually add the rest of the sugar.
- 1 min.When all the sugar is mixed in, stop beating and tip in the ground almonds, all in one go, with 3 drops bitter almond essence.
- 4 min.Fold in gently with a soft spatula...
- ...until evenly mixed. Do not mix for too long as there is no need to mix really thoroughly.
- 5 min.
- 2 min.If your amaretti have points on the top, you can smooth these down with a teaspoon dipped in milk.
- 1 min.Dust with icing sugar if desired.
- 40 min.
Cook the amarettiBake for about 40 minutes, until the amaretti are just beginning to take on a creamy colour.
Remarks:It is tempting to mix the ground almonds into the meringue with the whisk, but don't do it, or the meringue will collapse completely. Fold them in gently with a soft spatula.
And to drink?To stay with the Italian mood, an espresso or a shot of grappa.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Ground almonds: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crust for tea, Macarons (the original French macaroons) , Linzer torte, Pear, grapefruit and pistachio tart, Amiens macaroons, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Soft fruits in sabayon, Corsican tarts, Arizona cupcakes, New tiramisu, Pannacotta and blackcurrant crumble, ... [All]
- Egg white: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eton mess, Financiers, Ice-cream Vacherin, Pavlova, Almond tuiles, ... [All]