Step by step recipe:
- 1 hour 23 min.
- 5 min.Slice the sponge in two horizontally.
For real attention to detail, you can trim off the the top crust, which will help the cake to absorb the syrup later.
- 3 min.Place a layer of sponge on the serving plate.
- 3 min.Drain 200 g Griottine cherries but save all the syrup.
- 5 min.Use a brush to soak the sponge on the plate with the syrup from the cherries.
- 5 min.Surround the sponge with a band of paper or plastic to make the assembly which follows easier.
Of course, if you have a dessert ring of the right size, use this.
- 15 min.Soak 1 sheet gelatin in cold water.
Warm 3 tablespoons Kirsch in a small pan, then incorporate the gelatine and leave to cool.
Make a chantilly (whipped cream) with 200 ml liquid cream, 10 g Vanilla sugar and the kirsch.
We add the gelatine to make the cake firmer and easier to asemble. It also keeps better.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Spread an even layer of cherries on the cream.
- 5 min.Then a second layer of cream.
- 5 min.Soak the second half of the sponge with cherry syrup and sit it on the cream layer.
- 5 min.Add a third layer of cream on the top.
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Remove the band of paper and refrigerate until serving.
Remarks:If you can't get griottines, you can use amarena cherries in syrup or fresh cherries (when in season, of course). In which case, you will need to stone them first, then simmer them in a pan with a little sugar and kirsch.
For a richer and more sophisticated gateau, you can slice the genoa sponge into 3 layers (rather than two) and add an extra layer of cherries and cream.
Heston Blumenthal, the famous English chef, is a fan of Black Forest gateau, which he calls BFG. He includes surprising variations on his menu, including a little individual kirsch spray.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Fresh mint ice-cream, Chilli langoustines, Cod loin with saffron, Pain perdu, ... [All]
- Griottines Cherries: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cherry and pistachio tarts, Individual charlottes with morello cherries, ... [All]
- Vanilla sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Apricot blancmange, Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, Individual charlottes with morello cherries, Brownie, ... [All]