Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Roll out 300 g Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), if not ready-rolled, into 2 identical circles.
Line a tart tin or mould with one.
If your pastry came with a sheet of cooking parchment, leave this in place in the bottom of the tin.
- 2 min.Fold the pastry over the edge of the tin, leaving an overhang of about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm).
Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
- 7 min.Peel 750 g apple, slice into half-rounds (like in the photo) and fill up the pastry case.
- 1 min.
- 3 min.Prepare the second circle of pastry: make a small hole in the centre to let the steam escape during cooking, then use a brush to moisten around the edge with cold water.
- 2 min.Moisten around the rim of the pie case as well.
This will help the pastry "lid" to stick.
- 2 min.Place the second pastry circle on top of the first so that the moistened edges are in contact.
Seal the edges by pressing with your fingers, then trim off any excess pastry.
- 2 min.Finish by glazing the top of the pie with beaten egg.
- 30 min.Bake, preferably low down in the oven, for about 30 minutes.
Leave to cool slightly before taking the pie out of the tin.
Remarks:Use slightly sharp apples if you can, or add a little lemon juice with the sugar.
If serving the pie warm, make it extra delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a little chantilly cream.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stewed apple (compote), Toffee apple upside-down cake, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Caramelised apple pie, Tarte Jurassienne, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Vegetable rosette tart, Little caramelized peach tarts, Pecan fruit rolls , Apple and pear tart, Chicken pie, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Warm apple feuillantines, Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Almond tuiles, Tatin apples with mascarpone cream, Sandwich bread, ... [All]