Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.After preparing 500 g Brioche dough, refridgerate for 1 or 2 hours or overnight, so that the dough becomes firm.
Then roll out dough (sprinkle generously with flour) into a large rectangle about 1 cm or 0.5 inch thick.
- 3 min.Put this rectangle on a bigger sheet of cooking parchment. If necessary, reshape your rectangle after this transfer operation.
- 5 min.Spread a layer of 300 g Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream) all over dough rectangle, 0.5 cm or 0.25 inch thick (add more if you wish).
- 5 min.Now your goal is to roll up the dough to form a cylinder.
It looks difficult, but in fact it's quite easy, thanks to the paper sheet. Use it to start rolling, without touching the dough, and so form the roll.
- Continue until completely rolled up.
- 2 hoursPut roll on a baking sheet, and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until the roll becomes quite firm.
- 3 min.After this time, remove roll from the fridge and with a large sharp knife, trimm off the ends to neaten.
Note: you can cook these bits later.
- 10 min.Then cut the roll into slices about 3 cm or 1.5 inches thick, and arrange them in a round mould or tray, touching one touching another.
That's why firm dough is absolutely essential, otherwise the slices will squash during cutting.
- 2 hoursCover mould with a plastic sheet, and leave in a warm place for 2 hours.
- 3 min.After this time, preheat oven to 180°C or 356°F. Brush top of cake with 1 beaten egg yolk.
- 40 min.Put in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- 10 min.
Remarks:You can also put on the custard before rolling up: raisins, small pieces of dried apricot, chocolates chips, etc.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Brioche dough: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Brioche galette, St Tropez tart, Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), Mini apricot and pistachio brioches, Nanterre brioche, ... [All]
- Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio cream, Pains aux raisins, Peach and green tea tart, Paris-Brest, Strawberries with mint and cream, ... [All]
- Beaten egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple Pie, Gâteau Breton (Brittany butter cake), Koulibiak in pie dish, Nanterre brioche, Lumberjack turnovers, ... [All]