Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Melt 50 g butter over low heat, then take off the heat and leave to cool.
- 3 min.Cut 150 g Marzipan (almond paste) into small pieces and put into a food-processor bowl.
- 1 min.Add the first egg.
- 15 min.Start beating slowly at first, then increase the speed.
Add the other eggs one at a time, about 5 minutes apart...
- ...until the mixture is light and well aerated.
This beating takes about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- 2 min.
- 2 min.Add the melted butter, which should be nearly cold, and the zest of 1 orange.
- 3 min.Mix in gently.
- 3 min.Use a 7" (18 cm) springform tin and lay a circle of cooking parchment in the bottom, as the columbier tends to stick during cooking.
- 1 min.Pour the mixture into the tin.
- 1 min.Scatter 100 g candied fruit evenly over the top.
- 30 min.Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Turn the columbier out carefully, as it is very fragile.
Remarks:You can create an attractive effect when the cake is turned out by scattering a handful of sliced almonds in the bottom of the tin on top of the cooking parchement (step 9).
If you don't have an orange, you can use the zest of a lemon instead.
Source:Free interpretation of a recipe by Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Marzipan (almond paste): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Arizona cupcakes, Little Christmas biscuits, Fraisier (French strawberry cake), How to make marzipan decorations, ... [All]
- Candied fruit: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Panettone, Sicilian Epiphany Pie, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Brioche dough, Little caramelized peach tarts, Layered Leek and Egg Gratin , Breton Pie, Potimarron (Japanese chestnut pumpkin) purée, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pitta bread, Sandwich bread, Cornmeal baps for Anne, Toffee apple upside-down cake, Shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée), ... [All]