Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Chop 2 shallots.
- 2 min.Melt 2 tablespoons goose fat in a frying pan.
- 3 min.Put in 1 kg 500 g cooked potato sliced, in a single layer.
- 10 min.After 5 minutes turn over potato slices, and cook until golden brown.
Don't salt at this stage, otherwise your potatoes will stick.
- 5 min.Put onto absorbant paper to remove the excess fat.
Repeat operation until all potatoes are cooked.
- 2 min.Clean the frying pan, melt the remaining fat, add chopped shallots, salt and pepper, and cook 1 or 2 minutes.
- 1 min.Add 100 g small pieces of bacon.
- 4 min.And cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
Note: Everything so far can be prepared in advance (the day before or so). But what follows must be done at the last minute for a better and crusty result.
- 2 min.Put cooked potato slices back in the frying pan.
- 5 min.Mix well and reheat on medium heat.
- 1 min.Taste and adjust seasoning.
- It's ready !
Serve piping hot, alone or with a good green salad.
In the swiss version, potatotes are grated rather than sliced (thanks to Nicole for this detail).
My grandmother Solange.