Step by step recipe:
- 40 min.
- In bread-making, the water temperature is always important. It's not a fixed value, but related to 3 other temperatures: 1) the temperature of your flour, 2) the room temperature in your kitchen, and 3) the basic temperature of this recipe, which is 58-64°C.
You can calculate the temperature of the water for this recipe in one click, using this small calculator.
- 15 min.
- 10 min.Cut 200 g Morteau sausage into small dice.
- 2 min.Add the diced sausage and 200 g cancoillotte metton to the dough mixture.
- 3 min.Knead for a few more minutes until well mixed.
- 2 hoursGather the dough into a ball, put into a clean bowl and cover with a sheet of plastic. Leave to rest for 2 hours.
- 30 min.After this time, cut the dough into 8 pieces of the same weight and roll these into balls.
Cover these with a sheet of plastic and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- 1 hour 30 min.Then shape the balls into sticks ('ficelles' in French), as shown in this video.
As you finish them, lay them on a baking sheet. Cover with a sheet of plastic and leave to rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 2 min.Preheat the oven to 240°C (460°F).
'Slash' the tops of the sticks...
- 15 min....and bake for around 15 minutes.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
- Serve in slices.
Remarks:It is not essential to use the water from cooking the sausage to make the bread dough, but it adds flavour.
If you don't have Morteau sausage, you can use another smoked sausage. If you cannot get cancoillotte metton, you can use grated cheese.
And to drink?A dry white wine, such as a Jura, Savigin or Chardonnay, or a light red, such as a Poulsard.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Plain cake, Sauce Normande (for fish), Pesto crackers, Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, Cherry clafoutis, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pitta bread, Caramel rice pudding, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Classic French white bread, Eggs meurette, ... [All]
- Leaven: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Saucipain, Ocean bread, Cretan Bread, Panettone, Seeded loaf, ... [All]
- Morteau sausage: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Hotpot my grandmother's way , Morteau sausage "crisps", Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, How to cook Morteau sausage well, Comtoise tart for Seàn, ... [All]