Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Remove the rind and any hard parts of 1 kg belly (streaky) bacon (unsalted), cut into pieces.
- 5 min.Cut 500 g ham into pieces.
- 3 min.Melt 50 g lard in a large pan over high heat.
- 10 min.Add the pieces of pork, and leave to colour a few minutes.
- 1 min.Turn the heat down to minimum and add the pieces of ham and 200 g lard.
- 1 min.
- 6 hoursCover the pan and leave on very low heat for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, the meat will be reduced to a conserve.
- 3 min.With a skimmer or wooden spoon, mix the lot. The meat will fall apart into small shreds and form rillettes.
- 3 min.Mix until reaching desired consistency: not too much if (like me) you prefer to have bigger pieces in your rillettes, more if you prefer the rillettes smoother.
- 10 min.Put rillettes into jars, removing meat with a skimmer, and cover the top with a little lard.
Leave to cool, then cover, then refrigerate overnight or longer.
Share with friends with a good bread, and pickles or mushrooms in vinegar.
The acid taste of pickles goes well the mildness of the rillettes, and if you also have a good red wine, then you will be kings of all the world...
Remarks:If you like to vary proportions, please try to respect: Half as much ham as fat pork (belly), 12 g salt + 3 g pepper per kilogram meat.
For the duck version, replace lard with duck fat, and ham with duck breasts. It's a very very good idea to use the fat from cooking a foie gras for this.
Recipes which use it: 2
And to drink?A good red wine, with plenty of tannins.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Belly (streaky) bacon: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Avengers' potatoes, Meatballs, Potato wallets, Roast beef "like they do it in Santa Fe", Hamburgers, ... [All]
- Ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endives , French toast "cordon bleu", Ham "friand" pie, Involtinis, Croque-monsieur, ... [All]
- Lard: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rillons de Tours, Flamiche, Truffade, Cured Pork Belly With Lentils, Bacon rolls, ... [All]