Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Have your butcher prepare the tournedos steaks for you. This is fillet steak (also known as filet mignon) wrapped in a fine band of pork fat. It is rather expensive, but this is one of the very best cuts. Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before using.
Dry both sides of the steaks with absorbant paper, then salt and pepper them.
Cut circles of bread about the same size as the steaks (using a cutter makes this easier) and butter both sides.
- 4 min.Fry the bread gently in a frying pan on low heat until both sides are lightly browned.
Heat the serving plates.
- 8 min.
- 3 min.The band of fat should come loose towards the end of cooking. Remove and discard it.
Cut 2 slices of foie gras, about the same size as the bread.
- 3 min.As soon as the steaks are cooked, remove them from the pan and put them beside the toasted bread to keep hot while you make the sauce.
Leave the steak pan on the heat.
- 3 min.
- 5 min.To finish the sauce, add a knob of butter and whisk while it melts. This will give you a smooth, glossy sauce.
- 3 min.Place a round of toast on each plate, place a steak on top, then a slice of foie gras.
- 2 min.Pour the sauce over and serve immediately. Tournedos Rossini should not be kept waiting.
Remarks:To be completely authentic, the recipe should include thin slices of truffle, but it is already delicious as it is.
I recommend serving it with pan-fried mushrooms, for example, or a selection of small vegetables.
I prefer Noilly, as I find that port makes the sauce a little too bland and sweet.
If you don't have veal stock, your can use a beef stock cube instead, but it will not be quite as good.
And to drink?A Cabernet-Sauvignon red wine, such as a Saint-Esthèphe.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Beef : You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Upside-down Parmentier, Beef braised in reduced red wine, Taos hotpot, Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, ... [All]
- Foie gras: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Purée of Jerusalem artichokes with foie gras, Sarladaise potatoes, Scallops with crunchy vegetables and wine sabayon, Beef Wellington, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), ... [All]
- Noilly Prat: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pan-fried scallops and chanterelles with Noilly Prat sauce, Scallops with cabbage julienne, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cabbage julienne with ham, Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, Kouign-amann brioche, Buckwheat almond biscuits, Naan, ... [All]