Step by step recipe:
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F).
You can buy pistachios already blanched with their skins removed (the green ones on the left in the photo), or still in their skins (usually cheaper).
- 2 min.For this recipe the pistachios need to have the skins removed, so if you need to do this, plunge them for 2 minutes into boiling water. Drain, then slip off the skins, which should now be quite easy.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.When this temperature has been reached, tip the pistachios all at once into the pan.
- 15 min.Then stir with a wooden spatula. After a few seconds the mixture should become grainy.
If this does not happen immediately it is because the sugar has not reached 120°C (250°F) yet. Don't worry, just keep stirring for a while longer until the change occurs.
When the mixture has turned grainy (like in the photo), stop stirring, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- 1 min.Tip the cooled contents of the pan into a blender or food processor.
- 3 min.Blend until it becomes evenly ground and green: pistachio powder.
If you wish to use this powder for flavouring biscuits, a cake or a cream for example, use as it is. The powder is quite easy to incorporate.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.The paste is best kept refrigerated, preferably spread into sort of flat cake, and wrapped in plastic film. Keep the powder at room temperature in an airtight jar.
Remarks:You will note that this recipe, unlike many others, does not contain almonds, just pistachios and sugar.
Recipes which use it: 12, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Four quarters, Praline, Panettone, Panna cotta, Home-made terrine of foie gras, ... [All]
- Pistachios: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pistachio shortbread biscuits, Chocolate cereal bars, Pistachio panna cotta with custard, Nougat, Moist cereal bars, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate eclairs, Gingerbread, French croissants, Sushi, Leek and potato soup, ... [All]