Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 2 min.Pour a little liquid caramel into the bottom of a ramekin...
- 1 min.... and turn the ramekin so that the caramel coats the base and sides. Pour any excess back into the pan (don't worry for now if there are dribbles around the top of the dish).
Warning: This is a tricky moment, and liquid caramel is burning hot and very dangerous. It is wise to keep young children well clear, and to protect your hands with oven gloves while handling the ramekins (not like I am doing in the photos).
- 10 min.Do this with all the ramekins.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.
- 10 min.Pour the mixture through a strainer, preferably over a high-sided container, to remove the bits of vanilla pod.
Leave to rest 10 minutes, then skim off any foam that forms on the surface.
- 40 min.Place the ramekins in a large, deep baking sheet, then fill them with cream and put in the oven. Pour boiling water into the tray, then close the oven door and leave to cook around 40 minutes.
- 2 hoursCheck that the creams are cooked, like testing a cake, then remove from the oven and leave at least an hour to cool to room temperature.
Then refrigerate overnight.
- Serve by turning out onto dessert plates or dishes. Overnight the caramel will have liquified, and will now run down over the cream.
Remove from the fridge an hour before serving if possible so that the cream is not too cold.
Remarks:You will notice that this cream uses whole eggs. This makes it firmer than the cream used for crème brulée for example, so that it can be turned out easily.
If you make this dessert for your children or grandchildren, you'll find there's no more talk of desserts from packet mixes.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Nantes Tourton, Apricot blancmange, Pancake batter, Crème de foie gras, New hamburger buns, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Almond tuiles, Apple Pie, Sandwich bread, French Family Cake, Little apple turnovers with almonds and raisins, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crème brulée, Framboisier, Arizona cupcakes, Apple Batter Puddings, Doughnuts, ... [All]
- Egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Thin endive tart, Spinach and Comté Loaf, Sesame fried scampi, Gingerbread, Provençal colombier for Pentecost, ... [All]