Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.
- 15 min.Knead on slow speed until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- 5 min.Then add the melted butter and continue kneading until this is well mixed in.
- 1 hourGather the dough into a ball, transfer to another bowl and cover with a plastic sheet.
Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- 5 min.After this time, pat out roughly by hand into a slab 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick.
- 5 min.Cut circles out of the dough with a cutter 5 to 6 cm (2 to 2.3 inches) in diameter.
- 1 hourPut into proper baba moulds, if possible, or arrange on a baking sheet. Cover with a plastic sheet and leave to rise until doubled in volume (about 1 hour).
- 20 min.Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Bake for about 20 minutes.
- 15 min.Leave to cool on a wire rack.
You will see how using proper baba moulds gives the characteristic central well.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Trim the rounded bottoms off the babas...
- 5 min....and put the into the syrup. If necessary, pour syrup over the top using a spoon so that they are thoroughly soaked.
- 5 min.Place each baba in a ramekin or small dish and fill the centre with Chantilly (whipped cream).
Your rum babas are ready to be enjoyed.
Remarks:You can very the flavour of the syrup by using a different alcohol (such as Macvin du Jura, a fortified wine) or fruit. Of course, they will no longer be rum babas, but will still be delicious.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cassoulet, Cornmeal baps for Anne, How to heat milk without it catching on the bottom of the pan, French baguettes, Citrus crunch, ... [All]
- Chantilly cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Key Lime Pie for Jeremy, Strawberries with mint and cream, Coupe Augustin, Individual charlottes with morello cherries, Strawberry Charlotte, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flognarde, Plain cake, Tomato tatin, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Aperitif rolls, ... [All]
- Rum: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Cannelés, Dublin fruit scones, Rich hazelnut buttercream, Little apple turnovers with almonds and raisins, Sicilian Epiphany Pie, ... [All]