Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 40 min.Steam 1 kg 500 g potatoes, peel and set aside.
Preheat oven to 200°C or 392°F.
- 6 min.Put 200 g small pieces of bacon in a frying pan, without fat, on high heat.
2 minutes later, when bacon releases some fat, add chopped onions, and cook 2 - 3 more minutes.
- 1 min.Add 200 ml dry white wine.
- 20 min.Leave to cook over medium heat...
- ...until the mixture is quite dry.
- 1 min.
- 5 min.Slice enough potatoes to make a first layer.
- 3 min.Add half the onions-bacon mixture, salt and pepper.
- 5 min.Cut more potato slices to make a second layer.
- 3 min.Add remaining onions-bacon mix, salt and pepper.
- 2 min.Pour in 200 ml cream.
- 5 min.Cut 2 Reblochons in half across the middle, then vertically.
Note : You can, before cutting them, wash cheese crust under the tap with a brush, even remove crust if you don't like it.
- 2 min.Put cheese quarters on potatoes, and put in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- 30 min.Your tartiflette is ready when cheese is melted, and crust is crispy.
Remarks:I think it's good too with other cheeses like St. Nectaire farmhouse or Mont d'Or, but of course this is not a "true" tartiflette.
Is this a true one? Not really says Julie (born in the region) who tells me that the potatoes should be fried in a pan before going in the dish. Nathalie, from Bellegarde, on the other hand, doesn't cook the potatoes, she just puts them into cold water and stops when they come to the boil. Well, as you see, one recipe but many versions...
All the proportions indicated can be easily changed according to taste.
And to drink?The ideal wine is, of course, a white wine from Savoy, like Abymes or Apremont.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potato tortilla (Spanish omelette), Big knife-cut chips (French fries) , Comtoise tart for Seàn, Potato gratin, Maroilles cheese quiche, ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Small cheese and bacon rolls , Crispy spinach rolls, Breton Pie, How to cook bacon and remove excess fat, Dipping bread with cheese, ... [All]
- Dry white wine: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scallops with crunchy vegetables and wine sabayon, Pork chops with a duo of brassicas, Langoustine gratin, Mushrooms on toast, French style, Turban of sole with langoustines, ... [All]