Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.Cut 3 slices bread into rectangles about 5cm x 2.5cm (2 x 1 inches).
Cut 3 slices smoked ham to the same size.
- 5 min.Butter both sides of the bread.
- 15 min.Crack open the 18 quails egg and separate the yolks from the whites.
Note: The action needed to crack quail's eggs is not easy to describe; you might like to watch this short demonstration video.
- 2 min.
- 10 min.
- 1 min.In the same pan, fry the ham for 1 minute on each side.
- 4 min.Then fry the slices of bread until golden brown on each side.
- 5 min.Turn down the heat under the pan. Arrange a slice of ham on each piece of bread, then a rectangle of egg white. Salt and pepper lightly.
- 10 min.Finish by placing an egg yolk in each hollow.
This is the tricky moment in the recipe. You need to do this gently so as not to break the egg yolks.
Leave like this on low heat for about 5 minutes to warm the yolks through, but they should not cook.
Remarks:Everything can be prepared in advance, only the yolks need to be added at the last minute.
You can add a little surprise flavour in the hollow of the whites under the yolks, something strong like a drop of wasabi, a few drops of vinegar, or whatever you can think of.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Creamy spinach and potato gratin, Nantes Tourton, Four quarters, Brioche Tatin, Passion fruit jellies, ... [All]
- Quail egg: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quail egg canapés, ... [All]
- Smoked ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Melting Epoisses on toast , Kérinou slices, Gougères, Tagliatelle and courgette spaghetti, carbonara style, Crème de foie gras, ... [All]
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Caesar salad, Croque-monsieur gourmand, Montbenoit's canapés, Croque-monsieur complet, Summery cheese on toast, ... [All]