Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Peel and wash 1 raw beetroot. Cut into slices, slices into sticks and sticks into small dice.
You can also use and electric cutter (not as pretty but easier and faster).
- 5 min.
- 1 min.In a high-sided bowl or blender, put the remaining beetroot, add 200 ml liquid cream, ½ teaspoon wasabi, salt and pepper.
- 1 min.Use a blend for a few seconds...
- ...until you get a lovely flashy pink cream.
- 10 min.Pour the beetroot cream into a fine sieve, force it through, using a maryse.
We do that to remove all the remaining small pieces of beetroot, and get a smooth cream.
- 5 min.Peel and roughly chop walnuts.
- 5 min.Arrange the dish, using for example small glasses, or any other transparent container.
Start with a layer of beetroot mousse.
- 5 min.Remove the bowl of diced beetroot from the fridge, and add a layer.
- 5 min.Then a layer of chopped walnuts.
- 5 min.Then another beetroot mousse layer.
- Finish with some chopped chives on top, and refrigerate until serving.
All the ingredients can be prepared beforehand, maybe the day before, but it's always better to make the final preparation at late as possible.
Remarks:If you're worried by wasabi, replace it with a dash of Tabasco to keep the spicy taste, or omit it.
If you don't have chives, a parsley or chervil leaf will be ok. It's quite important to have something green with the pink of the mousse.
Raw beetroot taste is a bit disconcerting, if it's your first try don't be surprised by the "earthy" taste. Anyway it's much more interesting than the sweetish taste of cooked beetroot.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Panna cotta, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, Pistachio ice cream, Apple and almond gratin, ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tapenade, Endive and beer soup, Curried prawn risotto, Beetroot salad with cashew nuts, Eggs Comtoise, ... [All]
- Raw beetroot: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Crunchy spring salad, Sushi, Beetroot salad with cashew nuts, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Raw beetroot salad, ... [All]
- Walnut kernels: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Valay-Brest, Oaty walnut cake , Raw beetroot salad, Walnut paste, Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , ... [All]