Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Peel and wash 1 raw beetroot. Cut into slices, slices into sticks and sticks into small dice.
You can also use and electric cutter (not as pretty but easier and faster).
- 5 min.
- 1 min.In a high-sided bowl or blender, put the remaining beetroot, add 200 ml liquid cream, ½ teaspoon wasabi, salt and pepper.
- 1 min.Use a blend for a few seconds...
- ...until you get a lovely flashy pink cream.
- 10 min.Pour the beetroot cream into a fine sieve, force it through, using a maryse.
We do that to remove all the remaining small pieces of beetroot, and get a smooth cream.
- 5 min.Peel and roughly chop walnuts.
- 5 min.Arrange the dish, using for example small glasses, or any other transparent container.
Start with a layer of beetroot mousse.
- 5 min.Remove the bowl of diced beetroot from the fridge, and add a layer.
- 5 min.Then a layer of chopped walnuts.
- 5 min.Then another beetroot mousse layer.
- Finish with some chopped chives on top, and refrigerate until serving.
All the ingredients can be prepared beforehand, maybe the day before, but it's always better to make the final preparation at late as possible.
Remarks:If you're worried by wasabi, replace it with a dash of Tabasco to keep the spicy taste, or omit it.
If you don't have chives, a parsley or chervil leaf will be ok. It's quite important to have something green with the pink of the mousse.
Raw beetroot taste is a bit disconcerting, if it's your first try don't be surprised by the "earthy" taste. Anyway it's much more interesting than the sweetish taste of cooked beetroot.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate sauce, Toffee apple upside-down cake, Creamy risotto with diced vegetables and flax seeds, Pistachio panna cotta with custard, Flaked almond tart, ... [All]
- Raw beetroot: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Raw beetroot salad, Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Beetroot and cream cheese verrines, Cubed salad, ... [All]
- Walnut kernels: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endive and walnut salad, Walnut paste, Walnut short bread, Valay-Brest, Special Cheese and Walnut Sticks, ... [All]