Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Peel and wash 2 turnips, then grate.
- 15 min.Wash 300 g cauliflower and only keep the small florets.
- 5 min.Cut 200 g chicken breast into small dice.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Add the carrots, turnip and cauliflower. Mix well.
- 2 min.Add the chicken and 30 g spices for couscous*. Mix well.
(* see below).
- 3 min.Cook like this (dry) for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 1 hourPour in 1 litre 500 ml water, add 70 g tomato paste and mix well.
Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer uncovered for about an hour.
- 3 min.After this, remove the garlic clove and discard, then add 150 g tinned (canned) chickpeas...
- 5 min....and 150 g vermicelli.
Leave to cook for a further 5 minutes (check the cooking time of the pasta on the paquet).
- Serve piping hot with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped fresh coriander.
Remarks:As with any "regional" recipe, please remember that this is only ONE chorba recipe and not THE chorba recipe.
The proportions are for guidance, so do vary them to your own taste.
The diced chicken can be either raw or cooked (as in the photos) and this is a good way to use up leftovers.
If you can't find a ready-made mix of couscous spices, you can make your own from: cumin, coriander (ground), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and turmeric. Paprika, cloves and caraway are also sometimes used.
And to drink?An Algerian red wine, one from the Medea region, for example, or any other full-bodied red.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Couscous, Cooking sugar, Natural leaven, Butter cream, Pizza dough, ... [All]
- Cauliflower: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, Country vegetable soup, How to prepare cauliflower, Cauliflower curry, Warm cauliflower salad with two cheeses, ... [All]
- Chicken breast: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chinese Soup, Paella, Chicken pie, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), ... [All]