Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Wash, peel and cut 2 carrots and 2 turnips into small sticks (julienne).
- 3 min.Wash 100 g mange-tout peas.
- 5 min.Cut into small pieces.
- 20 min.Prepare ½ green cabbage, raw.
- 15 min.In a large pan boil about 2 litres water, add 2 tablespoons coarse salt.
- 3 min.Put in carrots, bring back to the boil, and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes until the sticks are soft.
- 3 min.Remove carrots from boiling water, and put them in cold water.
- 3 min.When they have cooled completely, drain and set aside.
- 25 min.Continue like this for all the vegetables, without changing cooking water, which is becoming the vegetable stock for cooking the fish.
Set vegetables aside.
- 3 min.Wash 1 piece fish, it's not necessary to remove skin and bones now, that will be much easier when fish is cooked.
- 40 min.Put fish into the vegetables broth, over a low heat.
Cook gently, without boiling, just barely simmering, until it becomes opaque (about 40 minutes).
A better method: cook until internal temperature reaches 70°C or 158°F (an electronic thermometer is useful). Once at this temperature, the fish is cooked, and longer or hotter cooking serves no purpose.
- 10 min.When fish is cooked, you can now easily remove skin, bones and other bits to keep only the very best of flesh.
Note: Up to this point everything can be prepared in advance, like the day before.
- 2 min.Melt 30 g butter in a large pan.
- 5 min.Pour in vegetables, heat through thoroughly stirring round from time to time, then add 200 ml cream.
- 2 min.Add fish.
- 2 min.Mix well, season, and serve as soon as the mixture is nice and hot.
Remarks:You can use any kind of fish for this recipe, but it's a good opportunity to use cheaper kinds, and the fish can be prepared beforehand.
If you don't wish to use cream, it's not essential.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spaghetti with smoked salmon, Celeriac and mushroom gratin, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Coconut-vanilla cream for Elsa , Coconut-vanilla cream for Elsa , ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crackers, Gâteau Nantais, Langoustine sabayon tart, Crêpes Suzette, Montbenoit's canapés, ... [All]