Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.This works with all kinds of poultry: chicken of course, but also duck, guinea fowl, turkey, etc.
Salt and pepper the outside...
- ... and inside of the bird.
- 1 min.
- 1 min.You can also put in half an onion or a whole shallot.
- 4 min.
- 3 hoursPut in the oven at 150°C ou 302°F and forget about it for 3 hours.
- 5 min.After 3 hours, remove the lid, or remove from the cooking bag, arrange vegetables around the bird, and baste with its juices.
For the last 2 hours, leave uncovered, and baste with juices every 15 minutes (or thereabouts).
- 2 hoursAfter the five hours, you can cut it up (but is it the right word when you do that with a fork?) and serve.
Tip: during the last 15 minutes it's a good idea to turn the oven up to 220°C or 428°F to really heat the meat, otherwise it gets cold very quickly at your guests' table. Do remember to heat the plates as well.
- Note: This works too with roasting meats. For a joint of pork, for example, surround the meat with some sage leaves, which go very well with pork or white meats.
Remarks:This recipe is warmly dedicated to Frances Maguire, from Dublin, who kindly taught me everything about cooking in a bag.
How can such a low cooking temperature produce such soft meat? To understand that you need some molecular gastronomy. Please note that you can apply this slow cooking to many other foods.
If you have a really big bird, like a capon or turkey, you can easily go beyond 6 hours.
Vegetables cooked long and slow in the poultry juices, become deliciously moist and flavoursome ...
If your bird is so big that you have left-overs, you can make an "Express Parmentier" with it by covering a layer of meat with mashed potato and grated cheese (10 minutes under the grill), and it's very good!
Recipes which use it: 10, of which:
Source:Home made, after an exciting lecture by Hervé THIS.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Herbs of your choice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Avocado with Tuna, Thai-style Chicken with Cashew Nuts, Cubed salad, "Land and sea" kebabs, Chicken and Avocado Salad, ... [All]
- Pepper: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spaghetti with mussels and basil, Terrine of foie gras, Sausages with baked beans, French style, Sunday night pasta, Wiener Schnitzel, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tomato tart, Breton Sandwich, Sandwich bread, Sausage and lentils "en cocotte", Ciabatta, ... [All]