Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Cut 300 g belly (streaky) bacon* and 300 g veal into medium-sized chunks.
I advise you to use smoked bacon to give your sausagemeat a more distinctive flavour.
* See translator's note below.
- 5 min.Mince the meat chunks, using the coarse setting.
- Salt and pepper the minced meat and mix thoroughly. Your sausagemeat is ready.
Note the quantity of salt used: 16 g per kilogram of meat. If you are not making the same amount as in this recipe, you can use this small calculator:
- Tip: you can also add a little Morteau sausage or other smoked sausage to the meat mixture (but remove the skin first). The smoked flavour will be more pronounced, but this is a matter of personal taste, of course.
Remarks:While sausagemeat is, in principal, a mixture of 2 kinds of meat, one fatty and one lean, this is only the basic idea. In France, every good "charcutier" (pork butcher) prepares his own, to a special recipe with his own meats and seasonings.
[Translator's note: French belly bacon ("lard" or "poitrine") is often sold unsliced as a large joint or diced. This is the equivalent of British "streaky" bacon, normally sold ready sliced. Back bacon - such a feature of the great British cooked breakfast - is just not a French thing. Cuts of meat, especially pork, are not always equivalent between the two cultures. I try to translate these on a case-by-case basis that doesn't always suit the website's (very clever) database, so please forgive any ambiguities and inconsistencies that might creep in as a result.].
Recipes which use it: 1
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Belly (streaky) bacon: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Fried egg in bread, "Land and sea" kebabs, Meatballs, Rillons de Tours, Surf and turf club sandwich, ... [All]
- Veal : You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Spring veal sauté , Saltimbocca, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Blanquette of veal, Veal Chop With Assortment of Vegetables, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crispy potato and mushroom brik rolls, Potato and broccoli gratin, Courgettes (zuchinis) , How to prepare spinach, Grated potato cakes, ... [All]
- Pepper: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chicken breasts with tarragon, Tomatoes Provençal, Cream sauce with Vin Jaune, Fish fillet with preserved lemons, Quartet of brassicas with cream , ... [All]