Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Chop 50 g Candied grapefruit peel using food processor to produce small pieces of peel.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Switch on again and add the egg white a spoonful at a time until you have a smooth paste - calisson paste.
- 2 min.Spread the calisson paste out roughly on a sheet of rice paper laid on a chopping board.
Put the paste between two rulers 1cm (0.4 inch) thick, simple iron bars in this case, but use anything you like (wood, plastic...).
- 1 min.Place a sheet of cooking parchment on top of the paste.
- 5 min.Roll out the paste, guided by the rules either side, into a very even sheet.
- 15 min.Cut out the calissons with a cutter, pressing down really hard (I give a light hammer blow on the top) so that you also cut through the rice paper underneath.
- 15 min.Gather all the offcuts of paste, roll out again on the remaining piece of rice paper and cut out more.
Continue unti you have used up all the calisson paste.
- 10 min.Prepare 125 g Royal icing.
- Dip the top of the calisson (the side without rice paper) in royal icing. You can stick it on a fork to make this easier, but this isn't essential.
- 30 min.Wipe off any excess icing on the sides with your finger and place the calisson on a baking sheet.
You will notice how, after a few seconds, the royal icing becomes smooth once the calisson is laid flat.
Do this with all the calissons.
- Leave to dry exposed to the air for 2 days, until the royal icing turns hard.
Your calissons are ready.
Remarks:Traditional calissons normally contain candied melon and orange.
If you are in a hurry, rather than waiting for 2 days, you can dry the calissons in a cool oven at 50°C (122°F) until the royal icing forms a crust.
Source:Home made. This recipe is dedicated to my grandmother Solange, who introduced me to the calissons of Aix.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Royal icing: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: ... [All]
- Ground almonds: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sweetcrust pastry (pâte sablée), Buckwheat almond biscuits, Checkerboard biscuits, Financiers, Arlesian Biscuits, ... [All]
- Icing sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Oat financiers for Louise, Paris-Brest, Santiago Cake, Little Christmas biscuits, Half-cooked chocolate cake with raspberry coulis, ... [All]
- Candied grapefruit peel: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate thins with toasted nuts, Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, ... [All]