Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.You will need a pan or tin which can go both on the hob and in the oven, preferably non-stick.
Cut a circle of puff pastry the same diameter as your pan, prick all over and put back in fridge.
- 10 min.Peel 1 kg apple, cut into 4 or 8 according to size, remove core.
- 10 min.
- 2 min.Put apple quarters into melted butter, packed together as closely as possible.
Leave to cook until sugar caramelises.
Preheat oven to 356°F (180°C).
- 15 min.After about 10 minutes, sugar will start to caramelise and apple juice boil.
- The apples are sufficiently cooked when sugar around the edge of the pan is a light caramel colour.
- 5 min.Put pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- 3 min.After these 5 minutes, remove and put puff pastry on top.
- 20 min.Put back in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when puff pastry is golden brown.
- 5 min.Now for the tricky bit: use oven gloves to protect your hands and put serving plate on top of Tatin tart.
You should do this operation whle hot, otherwise apples stick on the bottom of the pan during cooling.
- 1 min.Turn over smartly...
- 1 min.... then remove pan: your Tatin is a success!
- At my opinion, nothing goes better with warm tart Tatin than a little whipped cream (crème chantilly).
Remarks:The recipe for Tart tatin comes from central France, via the pretty story of the Tatin sisters who ran a restaurant in Lamotte-Beuvron and invented the famous recipe, which now bears their name.
Source:Home made but after a recipe by Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple Tatin Terrine, Express apple tart, Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, Four quarters (adding fruit), Baked apples from St Aubin le Vertueux, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quick bramble jelly, Corsican tarts, Ciabatta, Household cake (Gâteau de ménage), Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate rolls (petits pains), Green beans with tomatoes, Choux pastry (pâte à choux), Tatin apples with mascarpone cream, Cheese Soufflé, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Yvetot Douillons, Icelandic-style fish and vegetable pie, Leek and fresh tuna tart, Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, Nanou's tuna tart, ... [All]