Step by step recipe:
- 12 hoursLeave 1 kg 500 g white haricot beans to soak overnight in cold water.
- 5 min.The next day, drain and blanch for 3 minutes in salted boiling water.
- 3 min.Drain the beans again.
- 25 min.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Melt 50 g goose fat in a large pan over medium heat.
Add the chopped onion, salt and perpper and cook without colouring.
- 5 min.Add the carrots, leek, garlic and bouquet garni.
Stir well and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 10 min.
- 30 min.Leave uncovered to simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3 min.Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Add 50 g tomato paste, mix and then add the beans.
Leave to simmer uncovered for around 30 minutes until the beans are just tender.
- 10 min.Put the pan or casserole you are going to use for the cassoulet on high heat and fry the duck confit until browned on all sides.
Remove the duck pieces and set aside.
- 10 min.Leave the duck fat in the pan and use this to fry the bacon and sausage, cut into pieces.
- 5 min.Prepare to cook the cassoulet: put a first layer of beans in the bottom of the pan.
- 5 min.Cover with a layer of meat.
- 5 min.Cover the meat with a second layer of beans.
- 2 hoursAdd stock to cover with about 1 cm (1/2 inch) over the top of the beans.
Cover and cook in the oven at 360°F (180°C) for around 2 hours.
- Serve each guest with a generous mix of beans and the different meats.
Remarks:The proportions of this recipe are not rigid, so you can add a little more or a little less of something, according to your taste.
For the dried beans, use whatever fairly large white beans you can get. A good French variety is 'lingot du nord'.
For the duck confit, if you are using legs, allow 2 per person.
For the sausage, use a good variety that is available where you live (I prefer using smoked sausage, but this is a matter of taste).
Cassoulet is one of those dishes that just gets better each time you reheat it, so don't hesitate to make a large quantity for reheating on another day or for freezing.
And to drink?A red wine from the south-west of France. My preference is for a Cahors to accompany this dish.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to cook pasta properly, Paella, "Buttonhole" quail eggs, Spaghetti Bolognese, Franche-Comté sticks, ... [All]
- White haricot beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sausages with baked beans, French style, Beans with tomatoes, Minestrone, ... [All]