Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
Fry the ham
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan on high heat.
When really hot, fry the slices of ham on both sides, in batches if necessary.
Dip the bread
Prepare the slices of bread by removing the crust, if you prefer, then lay them out in pairs, so that you have top and bottom slices side by side.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Pour the beaten egg-cream mixture into a plate or shallow dish.
- 2 min.Dip the bottom slice briefly into the mixture...
- 2 min.... then lay it dipped side downwards.
Place a slice of ham and your chosen cheese on top.
- 7 min.
- 6 min.
Fry the croque-monsieur
Pour 4 tablespoons oil into the same frying pan as you used for the ham, on medium heat.
When really hot, fry the croque-monsieur for about 3 minutes on each side...
- ...until nicely browned.
Serve hot with a green salad on the side.
Remarks:The cheese should preferably be sliced thinly or grated.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: French toast "cordon bleu", Welsh (French Welsh Rarebit), Filo leeks and cheese tart, Pork Chops with Rosemary, Eggs in brioche nests, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sausage with duchess potatoes and a Mont d'Or fondue , Tagliatelle and courgette spaghetti, carbonara style, Sea bass with coriander cream en papillote, Cod loin with saffron, Pumpkin (or potimarron) soup, ... [All]
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Croque-monsieur gourmand, "Buttonhole" quail eggs, White asparagus salad, French onion soup, Montbenoit's canapés, ... [All]
- Ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Involtinis, Ham à la Russe, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), French toast "cordon bleu", Mushroom buckwheat pancakes, ... [All]