Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
Fry the ham
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan on high heat.
When really hot, fry the slices of ham on both sides, in batches if necessary.
Dip the bread
Prepare the slices of bread by removing the crust, if you prefer, then lay them out in pairs, so that you have top and bottom slices side by side.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Pour the beaten egg-cream mixture into a plate or shallow dish.
- 2 min.Dip the bottom slice briefly into the mixture...
- 2 min.... then lay it dipped side downwards.
Place a slice of ham and your chosen cheese on top.
- 7 min.
- 6 min.
Fry the croque-monsieur
Pour 4 tablespoons oil into the same frying pan as you used for the ham, on medium heat.
When really hot, fry the croque-monsieur for about 3 minutes on each side...
- ...until nicely browned.
Serve hot with a green salad on the side.
Remarks:The cheese should preferably be sliced thinly or grated.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potato wallets, Warm cauliflower salad with two cheeses, Hamburgers, Involtini-Style Filet Mignon , Eggs in brioche nests, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate mousse with hazelnuts, Ham pasta bake, Eton mess, Mushrooms on toast, French style, Langoustine gratin, ... [All]
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Summery cheese on toast, Corn salad with croutons, Bread with Tomato , Melting Epoisses on toast , Croque-monsieur gourmand, ... [All]