Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Peel and wash 2 carrots, cut in two lengthways, then cut again to get pieces of about 2 cm or 1 inch.
- 15 min.Peel and wash 2 turnips, cut into four.
- 15 min.Peel and wash 4 potatoes, if big cut into four.
The idea is to get vegetables pieces of about the same size.
- 20 min.Wash and slice 1 leek thinly.
- 5 min.Peel and chop 1 shallot.
- 10 min.Peel and wash ½ green cabbage, cut out and discard the hard stalk, cut the remaining leaves into pieces.
- 2 min.Preheat oven to 302°F (150°C).
In a large pan, which can also go into the oven, melt 1 tablespoon goose fat and add the chopped shallot. Cook for 2 minutes, salt and pepper.
- 2 min.Add all the vegetables, salt, mix well and make cook for 2 minutes.
- 3 min.Add the bouquet garni, the beef stock cube and add cold water to just cover the vegetables.
- 5 min.Put 2 Morteau sausage on top, and bring to the boil.
- 2 hoursWhen boiling, cover and put in the oven.
Forget about it for 2 hours or more.
- 30 min.After two hours, remove the lid, check seasoning, remove and discard the bouquet garni.
Leave in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 5 min.Remove sausages from the pan, slice, then put the whole dish in the centre of the table, where guests can help themselves.
Remarks:As you will have understood, this recipe comes directly from my childhood memories.
And this is not a strict recipe, you can change the type or quantity of vegetables as you please. The spirit of the recipe is this: vegetables in medium sized chunks, long slow cooking, with a piece of smoked meat. The dish is served directly from oven to table, guests help themselves, and can come back for more. There may even be some left for the next day.
To go with it, I suggest a proper traditional leavened bread, and a glass of a good red wine.
At the end, don't throw out any remaining stock, use it to make a soup or to cook rice instead of water, your rice or soup will get a delicious "chef-cooked" taste.
And to drink?A good red wine!
Source:My grandmother Jane, with whom I spent the best holidays of my childhood.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potato wallets, Alsatian-style salad, Sarladaise potatoes, Valay salad, Chilli langoustines, ... [All]
- Turnip: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Baked Mont d'Or with diced mixed vegetables, Chorba, Creamy risotto with vegetables , Stock-pot fish , Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, ... [All]
- Morteau sausage: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sausage with duchess potatoes and a Mont d'Or fondue , Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, Smoked eggs, Cassoulet, Sausage in brioche, ... [All]