Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Use a large casserole or pan that can go both on the hob and in the oven. Put on medium heat and pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
When hot, lightly brown 250 g belly (streaky) bacon (cut into thin rashers) on both sides.
Do this in batches and set aside. You will need one rasher of bacon (or slice of ham) per carrot.
- You can use cured ham as well as, or instead of, the bacon.
- 2 min.After frying the bacon, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the chopped onion. Salt and pepper, then leave to cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Turn off the heat.
Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- 5 min.Wrap each carrot in a strip of bacon or ham and pack tightly in the bottom of the casserole.
- 2 min.Pour enough stock over to just cover the carrots.
- 2 hoursCook in the oven for one and a half to two hours (or longer), until the carrots are soft, melting even.
Take the lid off after the first hour to allow the stock to reduce a little.
- Serve with potato purée, for example, and pour a little of the reduced cooking stock over the top.