Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 30 min.
- 2 min.Meanwhile, sprinkle table salt inside the tomato shells, turn them upside down on a wire rack, and leave to drain.
- 4 min.
- 5 min.Remove the skin from 1 Morteau sausage and either mince or chop finely.
- 3 min.Transfer the Morteau sausage to a frying pan on high heat and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then discard any excess fat.
Add the chopped onion.
- 5 min.Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 2 min.
- ...mix well, pepper lightly, but do not salt. The stuffing is now ready.
- 30 min.Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Stuff the tomatoes generously and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, with a little of the sauce made from the tomato flesh.
Remarks:If you don't have Morteau sausage, you can use another type of smoked sausage or plain sausagemeat, though it won't be quite as good.
Similarly, if you don't have cancoillote, use a creamy textured cheese, such as Le Mont d'Or, instead.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cooked rice: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tomatoes Provençal, Quick stuffed courgettes, Crunchy salad, Pollack fillet baked with rice and vegetables., Prawn salad with a crunch, ... [All]
- Cancoillotte: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs Comtoise, Endive gratin with cancoillotte, Comtoise tart for Seàn, ... [All]
- Tomato: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mixed salad stack, Greek salad, Tomato and cream cheese terrine, Guacamole, Eggs in tomato shells, ... [All]